Bethany Baptism Jordan River Site Visit from Amman
Stand beside the Jordan River where Jesus was baptized on this private 4-hour trip from Amman. Travel to Bethany Beyond the Jordan River Baptism Site, also known as “Al-Maghtas”, tour the riverbanks and ruins of ancient churches, wells, and baptismal pools. Entrance fees, Local Guide, and round-trip private transport with a well-informed English-Speaking Driver included. If you wish to upgrade to add a visit to the nearby Iraq Al Amir caves and pre-Roman Qasr al-Abad palace. Return to your hotel included.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Private Transfer by air-conditioned leisure new vehicle according number of participants
- English-Speaking Driver
- Entrance Fees to Bethany (Baptism Site at Jordan River)
- Local English-Speaking guide for classic visit of Bethany (Baptism Site at Jordan River)
- On board WI-FI
- Entry/Admission - The Baptism Site Of Jesus Christ
- Entry/Admission - Iraq Al Amir
What's excluded :
- All type of meals, unless option with lunch selected (Vegetarian meal by request)
- All type of beverages
- All type of gratuities (Tips to the Driver) – Recommended
- Personal Expenses
- Anything else not mentioned
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Amman, Amman, Amman Governorate
Meet your driver at your Amman hotel, and travel by private, leisure air-conditioned vehicle to the River Jordan with your own private English-Speaking Driver who doubles up as your guide. On route, soak in views of Jordan’s barren landscapes, and pull up at Bethany Beyond the Jordan River, known as “Al-Maghtas” in Arabic, the site on the eastern bank of the river where it’s believed Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.
Stop At: The Baptism Site Of Jesus Christ, Bethany Jordan
Meet up with a local guide, and take a tour of the riverbanks and key excavated ruins, learning how the site was sanctified as the place of Jesus’ baptism by the Vatican and a visit by Pope John Paul II in 2000. Drink in the powerful sense of spirituality, and see the remnants of Roman and Byzantine churches, caves, wells, and baptismal pools. As you walk, listen as your guide explains why archaeologists believe that it was here that John the Baptist lived, preached, and performed baptisms. Hear more about this famous Christian pilgrimage spot and how it is held holy in all three major religions — Christianity, Judaism, and Islam for being the believed site of the Prophet Elijah’s ascension to heaven. Afterward, reconvene with your driver and return to Amman, where your tour ends with a hotel drop-off. Please note: the Bethany in this trip should not be confused with Bethany in Jerusalem, where it's believed that Mary Magdalene lived and Lazarus rose from the dead.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Iraq Al Amir, Amman Jordan
Upgrade Iraq Al Amir Visit: Alternatively, if you’ve chosen to upgrade, travel to Iraq Al Amir, home to numerous cliff-side caves dating to the Copper Age. Drive through olive groves and pine trees, and after viewing the caves, continue to nearby Qasr al-Abad, a restored pre-Roman building dating from the 2nd or 3rd century B.C. Admire the exterior, pillars, and animal carvings as you walk around the age-old edifice, thought to have been a villa or minor palace. Then, rejoin your driver and conclude your tour with an Amman hotel drop-off.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- Airport Pick-up and Drop-off by request.
- Order of visits may change for day tours with more than one visit as long as all sites completed.
- Contact your local operator (phone number, emergency mobile number, or email address) a day before to reconfirm pick-up arrangements provided in your voucher.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Clients are advised to bring hats, sun screen, and comfortable walking shoes.
- Tour activity is provided in English. For other languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German) by request.
- Mobile SIM cards including Wi-Fi are available with assistance of our team upon request and can be subject to a small additional charge approximately: 20 USD. (Prices subject to change by the communication company).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level.
- Most local tourist restaurants in Jordan do not serve alcohol, if you do not want a dry restaurant please contact us.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- These measurements will be updated accordance with the Health Ministry regulations.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.