Intimate Visit of an Alaskan Off-Grid Homestead with Sled Dogs
Visit the Flower Homestead, a musher’s homestead tucked away just south of Talkeetna in the Boreal forest of Alaska.
Here we live a sustainable life together with the Flower Kennel Sled dogs. The kennel is unique in that the sled dogs are an integral part of our real authentic off-grid Alaskan life. The dogs help with hauling water from our spring, building material and firewood we harvest from our homestead to keep warm and cozy during the Alaska winters.
We grow, harvest and gather most of our own food and live a self-reliant lifestyle as much as possible.
We are committed to our dogs and the Flower Kennel is their forever home. Our tours are an exclusive opportunity to see how and why we live in the far North. We are a small locally owned operation and our tours are casual and personal.
Welcome to our home.
Bluma, Rachel, Lilja, Sam, Mouse, Flora, Hayden and Kiglu (companions)
per adult from
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
Welcome to our home.
Where you will meet the sled dogs up close and learn about our off-grid year-round Alaskan homestead.
The dogs are part of the homestead lifestyle and also our extended family (they all come in the cabin for their daily couch time and get lots of play time). Besides exploring Alaska together, they also provide the much needed hauling muscles in winter when we cut firewood and haul water from the spring.
When visiting the homestead you will learn about sled dogs and mushing in general and meet each dog individual. Each dog has a different characters and requires specific care and training to excel in their work and life. There will be plenty of opportunity to cuddle with the dogs and take pictures.
Over a cup of tea, you will be shown around in our off-grid dry cabin (no utility connections or running water) and will see first hand what it takes to run all the systems needed to live in Alaska in summer and winter. We collect our own water, provide for out own electricity and heat, and grow, gather, bake, and ferment most of our food and try to live a simple sustainable life as much as possible.
For 2021 bookings please check our website, flowerkennel.com
• the Flower Kennel and Homestead LLC - Talkeetna Alaska, 6, miles south of, Talkeetna, AK 99676, USA
Departure Point :the Flower Kennel and Homestead LLC - Talkeetna Alaska, 6, miles south of, Talkeetna, AK 99676, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Please bring a MASK for the indoor part of the tour. Social distancing between guests and guide and washing hands protocols will be followed for the outdoor part of the tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.