Multi-day tour Kayak Expedition - 3 nights
Costa Rica to Nicaragua multi-day tour (4 days), travel with us from La Fortuna (Costa Rica) to Sabalos (Nicaragua). Get in touch with nature; majestic views from your riverside cabin. First you travel from La Fortuna to Las Tablillas, border crossing with Nicaragua, by air-conditioned transportation. After border formalities you continue by air-conditioned transportation to San Carlos (Nicaragua).
In San Carlos your journey continues by public boat to your hotel close to the village of Sabalos. Here you stay for one night. The next day you paddle to the picturesque town of El Castillo, here you stay for one night as well. The next day you go by kayak to the hotel Refugio Bartola.
The following day after breakfast you return to Costa Rica.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Ground transportation La Fortuna - San Carlos (Nicaragua) and viceversa
- Roundtrip shared transfer
- Transport by air-conditioned transportation
- Border assistance Nicaraguan side of the border
- Bilingual guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Shared boat transportation San Carlos - Sabalos
- Shared boat transportation Bartola - El Castillo
- Shared boat transportation El Castillo - San Carlos
- Kayak rental for 2 days
- Practical training & safety instructions
- Bilingual kayak guide for 2 days
- All meals
- 3 nights accommodation
- Fuel surcharge
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Mandatory U$8 per person Costa Rica departure tax which is payable at the time of tour check-in
- Mandatory US$14 per person Nicaragua entrance tax and departure tax
- Your multi-day tour (4 days) starts in La Fortuna. After pick up at your hotel by air-conditioned transportation you first travel for 2 hours to Los Chiles, where you have a coffee break. Afterwards you go to Las Tablillas which is the border crossing with Nicaragua at about 20 minutes from Los Chiles. Before going to Las Tablillas you first stop at a small office in Los Chiles to pay the exit taxes. Once you arrive at Las Tablillas you to do the border formalities at the Costa Rican side of the border after that you walk across to the Nicaraguan side of the border, a short walk of 500 feet (150 meters). Here your guide waits for you to assist you with the immigration process. Your guide accompanies you to the air-conditioned transportation that takes you to San Carlos (Nicaragua). Once you arrive in San Carlos you have lunch, then your guide leads you to the dock where your journey continues onto Rio San Juan where the village of Sabalos is situated. After 2 hours you get to your hotel. You have the afternoon at leisure, you can opt to explore the nearby rainforest or you can just relax in your hammock, overlooking impressive Rio San Juan. In the evening you have dinner included at the hotel.
The next day the expedition really begins as you set off into the Nicaraguan wilderness, you paddle to the picturesque town of El Castillo.
The scenery is simply amazing; orchids and bromeliads add a splash of color to the shades of the green rainforest foliage.
In the afternoon you have time to stroll through the streets and visit the Fortress of the Immaculate Conception. If you are an experienced paddler, you can have an afternoon full of adventure, crossing the impressive white water rapid in front of El Castillo town (optional).
The third day you paddle to a very special hotel at a truly unique location, the hotel Refugio Bartola. Bartola is also the name of the natural reserve that borders the Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve. These two reserves are seperated by the Bartola river, after lunch you have time to explore the area by kayak.
The next day you are leaving back to San Carlos at 06:30 AM and afterwards to La Fortuna (Note: On Sundays the boat leaves earlier to San Carlos, at 05:15 AM, if you go back on Sunday you have a complimentary drink and a city walk in San Carlos included before you head back to Costa Rica). Your guide again assists you at the border, Nicaraguan side, with the border formalities, after that transportation waits for you at the Costa Rican side to take you back to a restaurant in Los Chiles. Here you have lunch (included) and then you go back to your hotel in La Fortuna. You arrive in La Fortuna at 3:30 PM
Departure Point :All hotels in La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10 mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :All hotels in La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10 mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide (from La Fortuna to San Carlos)
- Children get discount, this only applies to two children being accompanied by two adults
- Minimum number apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.