Rapa Nui Stargazing
Learn about the principles of basic astronomy, the history of Polynesian voyaging and settlement, navigational techniques and the archeo-astronomy of Rapa Nui. Head out to some of the island’s traditional observatory sites to gaze at the night sky and view stars and constellations visible only in the Southern Hemisphere.
Your guide will point out stars and constellations of interest to the Polynesian navigators, relating some of the stories and legends that are tied to them, and explain techniques on how to find certain cardinal points of the traditional Polynesian compass by using the layout of the night sky. Look at the beauty of star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, stars and planets visible through our high-powered telescope before of heading to Anakena Beach with the option of taking spectacular shots of the star-filled sky moai in the foreground. Finish the night with a hot beverage and a slice of poʻe, a local spin on banana bread.
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel Drop-off
- Small-group tour (max 16 people)
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Hotel Pick up - We start at the office (main street - Atamu Tekena)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Anakena Beach, Easter Island Chile
We start at our office located on the main street (Atamu Tekena) at 20:00 during summer and at 19:30 for winter.
We have special access to Ahu Nau at night, this is our last stop. Before driving to Anakena, we set up our observation site at a remote site. Hot beverage and local cake included
Duration: 40 minutes
Departure Point :Atamu Tekena, Hanga Roa, Isla de Pascua, Valparaíso, Chile
Departure Time :20:00 - 20:30 pm
Return Detail :Atamu Tekena, Hanga Roa, Isla de Pascua, Valparaíso, Chile
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Start time from Sept to April 20:30 at our office (Atamu Tekena - main street in downtown Hanga Roa, near Kari Kari)
- No refunds after the tour starts. If weather changes while out on the tour we will try to take you out again free of charge on another night (subject to availability).
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled completely due to poor weather, you will be notified before the tour and you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.