Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Avebury in One Day from Salisbury
See the ancient wonder of Stonehenge in modern comfort. This tour will show you the ancient English heritage and many sites of historic and cultural interest, including Stonehenge and the medieval city of Salisbury with its famous Cathedral and Magna Carta dating back to 1220. The tour dives into the depths of history and discovers the how, when, where and why of Stonehenge & ancient past of humans, from Neolithic Man to the present day. Stonehenge and Avebury in Wiltshire are among the most famous groups of megaliths in the world. The two sanctuaries consist of circles of menhirs arranged in a pattern whose astronomical significance is still being explored. These holy places and nearby Neolithic sites are an incomparable testimony to prehistoric times.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local guide
- Pickup and drop-off in Southampton is available, BUT there is an additional cost of £50.00 each way per tour.
- Entry/Admission - Stonehenge
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- The full-day tour starts at 9am from your hotel in Salisbury, Salisbury train station or the Central Car Park/Coach Park in Salisbury.
It begins in the Medieval Cathedral City with all of its history and mystique where you enjoy a tour of the City before spending an hour at the Cathedral taking in the tallest spire and the Magna Carta (subject to opening times) before departing at 10.15am for a brief stop at Old Sarum, the original City of Salisbury. This Iron Age settlement became Salisbury after visits from Saxons, Danes, Vikings and Normans. Old Sarum offers wonderful views over the City and the surrounding landscape. This is where King John had his garrisons in the early 1200s before the barons rose up against the King which resulted in the Magna Carta being sealed in 1215.
You will depart Old Sarum at approx. 10.40am and follow a narrow riverside road through a picturesque valley with its own history to tell. Here you can take in the many thatched cottages and begin to learn the history that surrounds Stonehenge.
Arriving at Stonehenge at 11.10am you will spend two hours experiencing the new visitor centre and the Ancient Stones before heading to Avebury.
En route to Avebury you will see the Alton Barnes White Horse (a large chalk carving in the hillside) before passing through Lockeridge (where the Sarcen stones originate that form part of Stonehenge & Avebury). You will also see Silbury hill, the largest manmade mound in Europe and the West Kennet longbarrow (an ancient Neolithic burial mound). If time & weather permit you will walk to the site and actually enter the burial mound.
At 2.15pm you arrive at Avebury where your guide will walk you over the site. Here you will try your hand at divining for spiritual leylines.
Leaving Avebury at 4.30pm you begin your return journey to Salisbury train station, Central Coach Park or a local hotel (if you are staying overnight). The tour will be completed at 5.30pm.
Departure Point :Salisbury, UK
Traveler pickup is offered
PLEASE NOTE: If you require a pick up from a pint outside of Salisbury, then an extra charges will be incurred. contact us for details.Airports
- Heathrow Airport, Hounslow TW6 England
- Gatwick Airport, Horley RH6 0NP England
- Southampton Port, Cunard Rd, Southampton SO14 3QN, UK
- Portsmouth ferry, Portsmouth PO2 8RU, UK
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum numbers apply. If booking is for one person there will be a surcharge of 40% applied. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Pick up and drop off from Southampton is available, BUT the tour will incur and extra cost of £50.00 each way.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All vehicles are sanitized at the start of the day. Groups of 2 will be transported in a Saloon car, groups of 3 - 5 will be transported in an 8 seater people carrier. NOTE: At the moment, due to the current COVID-19 situation, NO passengers will be allowed to sit in the front seat of the vehicles.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.