Zadar Small-Group Walking Tour
Discover the historically rich and architecturally beautiful city of Zadar - the capital of the entire region in a walking tour with expert local guide, learning about the way of living in Zadar and discovering its mysteries through 2000 years of history.
Zadar is a perfect example how cultural heritage of the past can be combined with modern achievements and ideas.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional local guide
- Cheese and Maraschino liquer tasting
- Entrance fees
What's excluded :
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Your tour will begin in the Park of the Greats where you will hear short story about Zadar"s history told by professional local tour guide.
First big attraction that you will see is a modern one - The Greeting to the Sun. It consists of three hundred multi-layered glass plates placed on the same level with the stone-paved waterfront in the shape of a 22-meter diameter circle.
Next to The Greeting to the Sun are world famous Sea Organs. This site is a blend of human ideas and skills and the energy of the sea, waves,a place for relaxation, contemplation and conversation while listening to an endless concert of mystic harmonies of the 'Orchestra of Nature'.
From modern wonders you will go to medieval times by visiting church of St Francis and Franciscan monastery. The sacristy, which follows the choir stalls, is very important for the Croatian history because it was there that the peace was made between the Venetian Republic and Hungarian-Croatian king Ludovik Anžuvinac. In a decorated treasury next to the sacristy, there are collected works of art of the church with a great number of exhibits.
Medieval times continues by visiting cathedral of St. Anastasia - the biggest cathedral in Dalmatia. If you desire you can walk in the cathedral and see marble sarcophagus with the relics of St. Anastasia with the inscription by Bishop Donat.
From medieval heritage you will step back more in time and come in ancient Roman colony Julia Iader, on its Forum Romanum. It represents a very developed example of the forum complex, and is one of the most important among the Adriatic ancient cities.
On the foundations of the Forum rises church of St. Donatus. The symbol of the city of Zadar and the most famous monumental building in Croatia from the early Middle Ages (9th c.)
Across the church of St. Donatus you will visit third largest collection of religious art in the world popularly called The Gold and Silver of Zadar. The Permanent Exhibition of Ecclesiastic Art places Zadar among the great cultural capitals as such a collection of valuable and exquisite religious works of art all in one place can only be seen in the greatest European centers.
You will hear story about Zadar liqueur production and specially about famous Maraschino which was drank by many famous historical characters. You will also get chance to taste it and buy it.
Next attraction are Zadar Land Gate built by Venetian architect Michele Sanmicheli in 1543. Journey through Zadar's history continues by visiting the Five Wells square. The square is located on a site between the medieval city walls and the Renaissance bastion Grimani.
From the park you will pass by the Rectors Palace and St. Simeon church and come to the Peoples square - the center of public life in Zadar from the Renaissance until today.
You will finish your tour visiting the city market and tasting its products.
Departure Point :Trg tri bunara, 23000, Zadar, Croatia
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Dress code is smart casual.
- Places of worship and select museums adhere to a dress code. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women.
- You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements.
- Tour requires a minimum of two full price adult bookings to operate. In the event of the tour being cancelled due to not meeting the minimum booking requirements, you will receive a full refund.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.